IN FET YOUR CHILD WILL HAVE TO OFFER 7 SUBJECTS:
- ENGLISH HOME LANGUAGE
- AFRIKAANS FIRST ADDITIONAL LANGUAGE
- LIFE ORIENTATION
- MATHS / MATHS LITERACY (DEPENDING ON GRADE 9 RESULTS)
In addition, your child will have to do 3 choice subjects:
- Music, Dramatic Arts, Visual Arts
- Accounting, Business Studies, Economics, Computer Application Technology (CAT)
- Geography, History, Religion Studies
- Life Sciences (Biology), Physical Sciences
These subjects develop from the grade 9 learning area:
- EMS – breaks up into Accounting, Business Studies, Economics
- SS – breaks up into History, Geography
- NS – breaks up into Life Sciences (Biology), Physical Sciences
- Arts & Culture – breaks up into Music, Dramatics arts, Visual Arts
* Please take note of the following *
- Pupils need to achieve in Grade 9 Maths in order to cope with Academic Maths in FET. Pupils will therefore write an exam / test that will determine their suitability for Academic Maths.
- Pupils are not allowed to offer Physical Sciences, if they do not do Academic Maths i.e : you cannot do Physical Sciences if you are doing Mathematical Literacy.
- Pupils may only offer Music, if they have studied it in Grades 8 and 9.
- Pupils will not cope with Accounting in FET if they do not cope with the Accounting component of EMS. Therefore an exam / test will also be written to ascertain suitability for FET Accounting.
- A test will also be written to assess suitability for CAT.
- Entrance to Dramatic Arts, Visual Art and Economics is NOT guaranteed. We have limited resources and these are also subjects for which pupils must have a certain aptitude.
- Pupils’ progress, thus far, will be used to determine who can take the subjects.
- It is important that you choose carefully and realistically.
- Subjects changes are possible in Grade 10, but are discouraged as all portfolio work has to be caught up. Changes will only be allowed until the end of April.
- Unfortunately, if enough pupils do not want to take a subject, we will not be able to offer it.
- If a pupil fails a year, there is no guarantee that he / she will be able to offer the same subjects. In some cases they may be full.
PROMOTION REQUIREMENTS FOR GRADE 9
- 40% for English or Afrikaans
- 30% for the other language
- 40% for Maths
- 40% for 4 other learning areas
PROMOTION REQUIREMENTS FOR FET (GRADES 10, 11 & 12)
- 40% for English and 2 other subjects
- 30% for 3 subjects
REQUIREMENTS FOR UNIVERSITY EXEMPTION
- At least 50% (level 4) or better in 4 subjects from the designated subject list.
- NB: CAT and Life Orientation are not designated subjects.
It is important to note that these are minimum requirements. Each university has its own entrance requirements for each faculty.
If a pupil offers Maths Literacy, he / she will not be able to study in any Science or Commerce faculties.